Red Velvet Rocky Road Cupcakes
Once Again Nut Butter
- 305 grams granulated sugar
- 225 grams all-purpose flour
- 80 grams cake flour
- 25 grams natural cocoa powder
- 8 grams kosher salt
- 6 grams baking soda
- 3 grams baking powder
- 130 grams unsalted butter, room temperature
- 254 grams buttermilk
- 6 grams white vinegar
- 6 grams vanilla extract
- 8 grams red gel color
- 100 grams whole egg
- 125 grams all-purpose flour
- 114 grams butter, room temperature
- 100 grams granulated sugar
- 53 grams dark brown sugar
- 2 grams kosher salt
- 20 grams whole milk
80 grams Once Again creamy peanut butter
- 16 grams natural cocoa powder
- 25 grams mini marshmallows
- 25 grams peanuts, roasted, chopped
- 60 grams water
- 240 grams granulated sugar
- 1.5 grams kosher salt
- 120 grams egg whites
Rocky Road Cookie Dough Ingredients
Italian Meringue Ingredients
- MAKE THE COOKIE DOUGH: Heat treat the flour by warming for 10 minutes in a 350F oven. Let cool.
- Using an all-purpose mixer with a paddle attachment, cream butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar, and salt. Add flour and cocoa powder and beat on low speed until incorporated. Add the milk and peanut butter and mix on medium speed until incorporated and no longer crumbly. Add marshmallows and peanuts and mix until incorporated. Use a #40 portion scoop to divide the dough. Roll scooped dough into round balls. Chill at least 15 minutes.
- MAKE THE CUPCAKES: Prepare cupcake tins. In an all-purpose mixer with a paddle attachment, combine the sugar, flours, cocoa powder, salt, baking soda and baking powder. Add the butter and beat on low speed until the mixture looks sandy.
- Combine the buttermilk, vinegar, vanilla and gel color separately and then add to the flour/butter mixture and beat on low speed to combine and then increase speed to medium for 30 seconds. Add eggs one at time with the mixer on low speed letting the first egg incorporate before adding the second.
- Transfer the batter to the prepared pans. Bake at 325F in a conventional oven for 20-25 minutes or until done.
- Remove the cupcakes from the oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes in the pan, before transferring to a rack to cool completely.
- PREPARE THE CUPCAKES FOR THE COOKIE DOUGH: Using a melon baller, create a small divot in the cupcake that is the same diameter as the cookie dough ball. Place a cookie dough ball inside each divot so that half of the ball is inside the cupcake and half is sitting above the cupcake.
- PREPARE THE MERINGUE: Combine the water, sugar and salt in a pot and heat gently until the sugar has dissolved. Once sugar is dissolved, increase heat and cook syrup to 248-250F. While the syrup is cooking, place the egg whites in an all-purpose mixer with a whip attachment and begin to whisk on medium speed to create a stiff peak. Increase mixer speed to achieve this if syrup is ready before the egg whites.
- With the mixer running, carefully and slowly drizzle in hot sugar syrup down the side of the mixing bowl. Increase speed to high and whip until the meringue has reached full volume. Reduce speed to medium and continue to whip until meringue has cooled.
- Decorate cupcakes as desired.