Not enough time to bake bread from scratch? Think again! This Peanut Butter Banana Bread recipe is perfect for those last minute decisions when you decide to bake when really don’t have the time. To keep the recipe leaner, we use Greek yogurt and no added refined sugar. The sweetness will come from the natural sugar in the honey and bananas. For that reason, using overripe bananas will make a sweeter bread. Also, the natural sugars present in Once Again Peanut Butter enhance the flavors derived from the bananas and honey. Additionally, you can choose to use a flax-egg to keep this bread vegan ,if preferred.
Bread has become a bit of a bad word for those who are watching their weight. As a registered dietitian, when I see clients who are searching for help about how to better manage their health, often one of their first questions is if they will have to give up bread. Thankfully, I put all their fears to rest when I shout it out: Absolutely not! It’s all about balance. Bread is only a problem when you overeat it. As a matter of fact, the same could be said for most foods. There are no evilfoods, or must never eat items, only better-for-you choices. Perhaps bread got its bad rap due to how delicious it is and how easily one can eat half a loaf in one sitting. However, there are ways to have your bread and eat it too!
When you choose whole wheat flour among other better-for-you ingredients to bake your bread, the fiber content increases. Also, the bread will have a more balanced ratio of carbohydrates to fats (The added Once Again Peanut Butter helps with that). Both those qualities result in a more satisfying slice of bread, a slice of bread that will make you feel satisfied with one or two pieces without running the risk of having to eat the entire loaf. The added protein from Greek yogurt, eggs and peanut butter work well to provide a better nutrient- rich bread. The eggs also help in this regard since you don’t normally find them in a bread. But that is the exact reason this Quick Banana Bread is one step closer to helping us free bread from its bad name on the street.
Feel like you can take this Peanut Butter Banana Bread up a notch? Try adding chopped nuts and raisins to this loaf for a more decadent bread . Serve with apple butter and a hot cup of tea for an afternoon reward at the end of a busy week!
Quick Peanut Butter Banana Bread
Carolina Jantac, MS, RD, LD
- 1 ½ cup of whole wheat flour
- 1 ½ teaspoon of baking soda
- 2 eggs
- 2 bananas
- ½ cup of Greek yogurt unflavored or vanilla
- ¼ cup of Once Again Killer Bee Honey
¼ cup of Once Again Creamy Peanut Butter smooth or crunchy
- Mash bananas with a fork; then add peanut butter and mix well.
- Add in eggs, yogurt and honey, and mix all ingredients well, again. You may use a mixer on low speed, if you prefer.
- Finally, add in flour and baking soda, combining it to form a smooth dough.
- Place it in a 9×6 loaf pan, or 2 smaller 4.5×3 pans, which have been sprayed with oil or buttered.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 40 minutes or until golden on top and around the edges. Test with a toothpick to check for readiness. Store wrapped in foil for up to 4 days.