Mediterranean Veggie Burgers
Tahini-Lemon Dressing & Dipping Sauce
1/2 cup Once Again Organic Tahini
Tahini Tuna Fish Sandwich
6 oz. Can tuna fish
1/4 cup basic Tahini sauce
4 slices Muenster, Swiss or American cheese
4 slices of tomatoes if desired
2 English Muffins sliced in half
Pinch of oregano
- Flake tuna fish. Mix well with Tahini Sauce.
- Toast Muffin lightly. Place mixture on halves and cover with slice of tomato and add cheese slice.
- Top with oregano and paprika.
- Place under broiler until cheese starts to melt.
Chinese Noodles with Sesame Sauce
1 tsp. Freshly ground ginger
6 tbs. Chopped scallions
2 cloves garlic
Tabasco to taste
2 tsp. white vinegar
1 tsp. ground Chinese or black pepper
2 tbs. Toasted Sesame seeds
2 tsp. Sugar or honey
2 tbs. Tahini mixed with 1 tsp. Oil
Pinch of cinnamon
Soy sauce to taste
1 tbs. vegetable oil
Handful of bean sprouts (optional)
1 bag of Chinese Buckwheat noodles or vermicelli or any thin flat spaghetti (12 oz.)
- Mix first 11 ingredients (omit 2 lbs. scallions) in high-speed blender for 1 minute
- Boil noodles till done, but firm. Rinse in cold water and pour into bowl. Add vegetable oil and mix to prevent sticking.
- Drop bean sprouts into boiling water. Count to 3 and rinse with cold water and add to noodles.
- Spoon on sauce, mix well, serve with remaining scallions sprinkled on top. Although the dish is traditionally served cold it may be served hot as well.
Tahini Salad Dressing
2 cups water
1 jar Tahini
juice of 2 small lemons, strained
2 cloves garlic, crushed
onion powder, thyme, basil and fresh dill to taste
- Pour water in blender, and slowly add Tahini.
- Add lemon juice and garlic and blend for 1 minute.
- Add rest of the ingredients and blend again.
For best results make day before using. Recipe makes 1 quart and can be kept refrigerated for 2 weeks.
1 chicken cut-up
salt & pepper to taste
1 onion chopped
1 cup chicken broth
1 1/2 tsp. Paprika
1/2 tsp. Dill
1 tsp. Garlic powder
4 oz. Tahini
- Marinate the chicken in everything but the Tahini for 2 hours or more. Preheat over to 400 degrees.
- Put chicken in non-stick pan without the marinade. Bake for approximately 45 minutes or until done.
- Mix Tahini with the marinade in a blender. Pour over chicken.
- Bake until warmed thoroughly. If thinner sauce is preferred, add water or broth.
1/3 cup Tahini
1/2 cup water
2 cups cooked or canned chick peas, drained
1/4 cup lemon juice
2-3 large cloves garlic
1 teaspoon salt
fresh chopped parsley hummus
olive or vegetable oil
- Mix first five ingredients in blender until smooth or mash well by hand.
- Serve in shallow dish. Pour fine stream of oil around edge. Sprinkle with paprika and parsley.
Serve with warm pita bread, crackers or fresh raw vegetables.
YIELD: About 3 cups
VARIATION: Substitute 7 oz. Can of tuna fish for chickpeas. Add cumin and pepper to taste.
Tomato and Onion Salad with Tahini Dressing
1 medium red or whiter onion, peeled and diced
1/2 garlic clove, peeled and minced
1/3 cup tahini
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice or more to taste
4 medium tomatoes, chopped
1/2 cup fresh parsley leaves, chopped
salt & pepper to taste
- Soak onion in salted cold water while preparing other ingredients; approx. 30 min.
- Whisk or blend together garlic, tahini and cumin. Add lemon juice; the mixture will become very thick.
- Thin with hot water, a tablespoon at a time, just so the mixture can be spooned. (It will thin further when tossed with tomatoes.)
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Toss onion, tomatoes and parsley with dressing. Taste, adjust seasonings, and serve.
Makes 4 servings.
Basic Tahini Sauce
1 Cup Prepared Tahini
1-3 Cloves Garlic
1/2 Cup Lemon Juice
salt & pepper
- Sauce should be tasted and flavorings added until you achieve a desirable balance.
- Put all ingredients into and electric blender and blend for 45 seconds, or stir vigorously by hand.
- Add 5 tablespoons chopped parsley to mixture and blend together.
- Cumin may be added; also a bit of mustard.
This may be served in a bowl as a dip with warm pita bread, crackers or raw vegetables. Garnish with parsley or use you imagination.