Our peanut butter scones recipe is designed to level the playing field between expert bakers and novices. It is a simple approach to a usually multi-step, complex recipe, and it will not require prior experience or culinary techniques beyond basic mixing and shaping dough. The quality of ingredients remains pivotal for achieving a successful result. First, choose wisely when purchasing coconut oil, flour, yogurt, and of course, peanut butter. To minimize processed foods, shop for ingredients that are minimally refined, if processed at all. The advantage of making peanut butter scones from scratch is the control of ingredients and process, in addition to the amazing aroma that will fill your home.
Why you should make homemade scones! How to choose the right ingredients?
For example, coconut oil is often available ranging from three to four brands at most grocery retailers. Choose a food-grade option that has coconut oil as the single listed ingredient. Unrefined coconut oil will contain the most nutrients, and moreover it has not gone through chemical or heat processing. Lastly, although organic is forever a better option, fortunately, coconut is not usually a high-risk food for pesticides, so purchasing the conventional type is generally safe and will save you some money, if economizing or the lack of an organic choice will be shaping your purchase.
Your yogurt choice is a straightforward one, also. It should be plain, without any added sugar, and the only listed ingredients should be grade A pasteurized milk and live cultures.
Most importantly, let’s turn to the all-important peanut butter. Once Again offers a large variety of natural and organic peanut butters to fulfill your diverse needs. This peanut butter scone recipe was created with our organic creamy peanut butter that is made without any added sugar or salt. It is a premium product containing one ingredient only: organic peanuts, ensuring that our recipe remains as close to unprocessed as possible. However, feel free to try this recipe with one of our other peanut butters. The crunchy peanut butters will add a delightful depth to this recipe. Note, when using one of our no stir peanut butters, which contain sugar, you can adjust the sugar content of this recipe by lowering it by a teaspoon or so, as preferred.
We hope you enjoy this scone recipe and share your thoughts by rating the recipe given below. If you have any questions, write to us about your experiences in the comments’ section, also featured below. Do not forget to browse our other peanut butter recipes such as our Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies.
Peanut Butter Scones
Carolina Jantac, MS, RD, LD
Easy recipe for delicious peanut butter scones made with our peanut butter. A scone recipe made with coconut oil instead of butter, healthier with Greek yogurt as well.
- 2 cups of all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup of sugar
- 1 tablespoon of baking powder
- A pinch of salt optional and to taste
- 1/2 cup of coconut oil cold
- 1 large egg
1/3 cup of Once Again Organic Creamy Peanut Butter no salt
- 1/4 cup of Greek yogurt plain
¼ cup of semisweet chocolate chips
- Start by preheating your oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a baking sheet with a silicone mat or parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large bowl, add 2 cups of flour, the sugar, and baking powder, and then whisk to combine.
- Add the coconut oil which should be hard, cold, or at room temperature, and next with a pastry cutter or two forks, work it into the flour mixture. Some larger pea-sized clumps are okay; after this step, set the bowl aside.
- In a small bowl, add the egg, peanut butter, and Greek yogurt. Mix to combine until smooth.
- Pour wet mixture over dry, and fold until just combined; do not overmix or scones will be tough! If dough seems very crumbly or is not coming together, add a little more Greek yogurt, a tablespoon at a time, until ingredients are rendered moist enough to come together.
- Place on lightly floured work surface and pat dough into an 8-inch round, approximately 2 inches high.
- With a large knife or pizza cutter, slice round into 8 equal-sized wedges. Sprinkle some chocolate chips atop the scones, and gently pat them to stick into dough.
- Transfer wedges to prepared baking sheet, spacing each scone at least 2-inches apart from the next one. Bake for about 12 to 15 minutes, or until scones are very lightly golden and cooked through. They set more as they cool; it is critical NOT to overbake ---or scones will be dry. Remove them from your oven; then let them cool and serve!
- Enjoy these unique and luscious scones within the next 2 days for the best-tasting fresh-tasting scones. Do not worry--- they likely will not last that long--- they are outrageously delicious!