Our One Pot Turkey Stroganoff is a great weekday dinner. Weekday dinners are often a stressful task for busy families. The short window of time between the end of work, picking up kids from school and preparing dinner is never wide enough. Everyone is hungry and tired! It is no wonder so many are forced to compromise and pick up fast food on the way home. Unfortunately, this habit can lead to an unhealthy lifestyle with increased risk for chronic diseases such as diabetes, heart disease and obesity. Foods prepared by chain restaurants are on average higher in salt, fat and saturated fats. They also tend to lack enough variety and nutrients that our families need.
We hope this One Pot Turkey Stroganoff will be a healthy solution to your hectic cooking schedules! The simplicity of using just one pot and having dinner done from start to finish in fewer than 40 minutes is fantastic. It’s a healthier twist on a family favorite. The traditional stroganoff usually calls for heavy cream and beef. Instead we will be using ground turkey and our secret way to thicken sauce: Once Again Cashew Butter!
Here is a tip for when you try out this recipe on your own—try not to skip the last step. The stroganoff consistency is achieved during the last 10 minutes in the pan. The sauce thickens, and it is perfect to serve. Pair it with your favorite vegetable for a complete meal. We recommend green beans or broccoli for a nice touch of freshness. You may also add one cup of mixed frozen peas and carrots to this recipe if you’d like a complete meal in a pot. After browning the ground turkey, add the frozen veggies and cook until tender; then follow the rest of the recipe as directed.
If you’re looking for a vegetarian option, use tofu or tempeh, vegetable broth and nutritional yeast instead of Parmesan cheese. Let us know what variations you’ve tried and which works for your family!
Ready for another dinner time recipe? Try our Peanut Butter Chili recipe found here.
One Pot Turkey Stroganoff
Carolina Jantac, MS, RD, LD
One pot meals are a fantastic way to prepare dinner without having all of the dishes to clean after. We use cashew butter to thicken this sauce and you'll love how creamy and delicious it is!
- ¼ cup of chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons of minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon of extra virgin olive oil
- ¾ pounds of ground turkey
- 4 cups of rotini veggie pasta
- 4 cups of chicken broth
- ¼ teaspoon of black pepper
- ½ teaspoon of salt optional
- 2 tablespoons of Parmesan cheese
- Start in a medium sauce pan with olive oil, onion and garlic. Cook until onions are translucent; then add ground turkey.
- Cook thoroughly; then slowly add broth. Add cashew butter, Parmesan cheese, black pepper and mix well.
- Combine pasta, mix into sauce and lower heat to medium low. Place lid on sauce pan and cook for 20 minutes or until pasta is tender.
- Turn off the stove’s burner and let the Stroganoff stand with the lid on for 10 minutes or so for the sauce to thicken. Serve and enjoy! Makes four servings.