There are a couple of ways to make these cookies. You can start with plain tahini and add lemon, or you can skip that step and try our Once Again Nut Butter Lemon Tahini. It certainly does make this recipe a quick one to make and enjoy. We chose to use honey not only because it goes so well with tahini, highlighting its natural qualities and adding a caramel like flavor to recipes, but also because it sweetening power allows us to use much less than compared to regular sugar. We also used almond milk here to keep this recipe vegetarian friendly, but feel free to use your preferred milk. The result is a flaky, sweet with a hint of sour shortbread like cookie.
We hope you'll enjoy it with a cup of lemon ginger tea! Let us know if you make this recipe and or any modifications you try in the comments below. We love to see your twists to our recipes when you share it on social media too.
Don't forget to check out our store where you can stock up on Once Again Lemon Tahini as well as other products. Visit our recipe tab for other Tahini recipes too.
Lemon Tahini Cookies
Carolina Jantac, MS, RD, LD
A sweet with a hint of sour shortbread like cookie that will pair perfect with your cup of tea! Low in sugar by using only honey, and vegetarian friendly too. Use whole wheat or oat flour for a gluten free option. Use maple syrup for a vegan option.
1/2 cup of Once Again Tahini with Lemon
- 6 tablespoons of honey
- 3 tablespoons of coconut oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons of almond milk
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1 cup of sifted whole wheat flour or oat flour
- 1 teaspoon of poppyseeds (optional)
- Start by combining milk, tahini, honey and coconut oil in a medium sized bowl.
- Mix well until homogenous mixture is formed.
- In separate bowl, add flour to baking soda and baking powder, as well as optional poppyseeds.
- Combine flour into the wet mixture by mixing with a spoon.
- Roll about 15 small balls, place in baking pan and slightly flatten with the back of a spoon.
- They will not spread much in the oven. The oven should be pre-heated to 350F. Bake for about 15 minutes, or until edges are slightly golden.
- Remove from oven and let cool before storing in sealed container for up to 3 days.
- Optional: Add a sugar glaze!