Are these Frozen Yogurt Granola Cups too pretty to eat? Never!
A healthy treat that looks as fancy and indulgent as this gourmet dessert is just the look we were going for here! It is difficult to take any credit for it though. The beauty comes from the splendid colors of summertime berries. The contrast of reds, purples, and rose against the pure white and soft beige crust allows us to eat this with our eyes before we take the first bite.
Good quality berries are not as easy to come by at a good price. There are a few weeks, or months depending on your geographical location, when these fruits are in season. At peak times, they can be purchased fresh and affordably.. We encourage you to familiarize yourself with the seasonal calendar for fruits and vegetables to purchase top quality local produce at the best prices . This practice helps ensure local growers stay in business and lessens of the carbon footprint it takes to transport them to you from faraway.
When they are not available fresh, consider purchasing frozen. This recipe in particular works seamlessly with frozen berries since it goes to the freezer to set. Additionally, the recipe includes a simple crust made with oats, and we chose Once Again Creamy Peanut Butter to star in this recipe; nevertheless, you can use any Once Again nut or seed butter you prefer . The Greek yogurt contributes for higher protein in terms of nutrient facts and has a thicker consistency that makes it easier for them to set in the freezer. We don’t recommend using plain yogurt due to the texture challenge.
We invested in shades of red for this Frozen Yogurt Granola Cups version but would love to see a version of this recipe made with kiwi, peaches, mango, and even sliced grapes for a variety of colors! Show us your artful creations on social media by tagging us when you post!
Frozen Granola Cups
Carolina Jantac, MS, RD, LD
Healthy frozen treats made with real fruit and our Once Again peanut butter!
- 4 tablespoons of honey
4 tablespoons of Once Again Creamy Peanut Butter
- 1 cup of rolled oats
- 2 cups of Greek yogurt of your preference
- 1 cup of chopped fruit
- 2 tablespoons of coconut flakes
- In a small mixing bowl, combine honey and peanut butter. If you keep your peanut butter in the refrigerator, it may be necessary to bring the mixture to a slightly warmer temperature to mix. Add oats and mix well.
- Press about a tablespoon and half of mixture into the bottom of a mini-muffin tin (making 16 of them). Then top each with Greek yogurt, fruits and coconut flakes.
- Place them in the freezer for 20 minutes to set. Serve cold and refrigerate for 48 hours or freeze for up to seven days.