Delicious Creamy Carrot Soup! Why carrots you ask? Carrots are best known for their beta-carotene content, which is what gives them their orange color. They also other phytonutrients, including alpha-carotene and lutein. They are also an excellent source of vitamin A, a very good source of biotin, vitamin K, fiber, potassium, vitamin B6 and vitamin C. And that’s not all– they are also a good source of manganese, niacin, folate, copper and vitamin E. Think you have the idea? They are nutrient powerhouses!
Unfortunately, it is easy to overshadow all that goodness by adding large amounts of some “not so stellar” ingredients when making creamy carrot soup. Buttermilk, butter and cream are not by any means “villains” (we don’t like to categorize foods in such a way). But they can add a heaping amount of calories and saturated fats to recipes and our diets, which can be counteractive to those trying to stay on a determined eating plan. Therefore, there is a much better ingredient that will deliver that same creaminess to your soup without completely changing the nutrient profile of it . As a matter of fact, my solution will add a boost of some nutrients such as protein. Just a couple of tablespoons of Once Again Creamy Cashew Butter works wonders in this recipe. We have tried other Once Again Nut Butters as thickeners for soup and experienced tasty results as well! Tahini is a popular addition for soups. For this creamy carrot soup, the best match is Once Again Creamy Cashew butter. It seems that the cashews and carrots enhance the earthy sweet flavors they both share.
A warm bowl of creamy soup can be your comfort dinner on a cold day. Although I hope this is not only a trend, I truly appreciate the way we are embracing also enjoying warm soups for breakfast! Talk about a fantastic way to start your day with a nice serving of veggies! So when you make your next batch of creamy carrot soup, besides having the best aroma in your kitchen (ginger and carrot are phenomenally fragrant), remember to save some for your next morning breakfast!
Creamy Carrot Soup
Carolina Jantac, MS, RD, LD
- 1 pound peeled and chopped carrots
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 chopped garlic cloves
- ¼ teaspoon ginger
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 ½ cups vegetable broth
2 tablespoons of Once Again Creamy Cashew Butter
- juice of 1 lime
- To a medium sized pot, add the olive oil, garlic, ginger and turmeric. Heat for a few minutes before adding in carrots.
- Let carrots be fully coated with olive oil and spice mixture before adding in the vegetable broth.
- Once added, cook for about 20 minutes or until the carrots are tender. Lastly, add in cashew butter and lime juice. Cook for another two to three minutes and remove from heat. Using an immersion blender, puree the soup into a creamy mixture. Serve hot and a dollop of sour cream, if you like, for a flavorful garnish.