The grill adds many options to our menus. From grilling vegetables to meats, the possibilities are endless. Grilling chicken can take some time, there is a certain art to it to cook it long enough to achieve the correct internal temperature without burning the outside. However, depending upon the thickness of the chicken breast, this can be a challenge. So why not go for chicken kebabs instead? The smaller chunks of chicken on the stick are much easier to manage on the grill. Kebabs are a good solution for beginner grill masters who want to achieve the perfect texture, grill mark and flavor of the chicken.
There are a multitude of recipes available for chicken marinades. The vast majority include lemon juice. It is important to note that the acidity of the lemon juice can actually start to cook the chicken. Therefore, when marinating chicken with acidic based mixtures, keep the steeping time to under 40 minutes, and place the marinated meat the refrigerator, always. Overall, kebabs aren’t much of a party platter all on their own. They just beg for a dipping sauce to kick them up a notch, making them the talk of the party. The right dipping sauce can pull a meal together very nicely. For example, try this easy peanut dipping sauce made with Once Again Creamy Peanut butter that takes only minutes to prepare.
You’ll find this sauce is good on anything, from chicken to grilled broccoli. It’s made with only 4 ingredients. Thus, its simplicity allows you to taste the peanut butter and lime juice, which interestingly enough make the perfect flavor-match for chicken kebabs. Feel free to throw in a few of your favorite spices to make your own version of this dip. A good addition would be red pepper flakes for a spicy twist.
How phenomenal is it to have a dipping sauce that is neither mayonnaise nor ketchup based!? Our peanut dipping sauce has been very popular with children of all ages. And one that adds healthy fats, protein and vitamin E is almost worth the double dipping (pun intended!).
Need a dessert? How about our Caramel Apple Tacos?
Chicken Kebabs with Peanut Dipping Sauce
Carolina Jantac, MS, RD, LD
- 1 pound of chicken breast
- 2 tablespoons of lime juice
- 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons of cumin
- ½ teaspoon of red pepper flakes
- Dipping sauce:
- 1 tablespoon of lime juice
2 tablespoon of Once Again Creamy Peanut Butter
- 2 tablespoons of milk of your choice: I used plain almond
- 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil
- Start by cutting up the chicken breast into small cubes. Then add them to a plastic seal bag with lime juice, olive oil, cumin and pepper flakes to marinate for 30-minutes, maximum. In the meantime, if you are using wooden skewers for the kebabs, soak them in water so they won’t burn on the grill. To prepare the sauce, mix all ingredients in small bowl using a whisk. Or for a smoother consistency, use an immersion blender.
- Place dipping sauce in refrigerator until it is ready to serve. You may add more or less milk to achieve the thickness of your preference with the sauce. Place your marinated chicken cubes on the kebabs and grill until chicken is well cooked. Serve with sauce on the side!