Cacao Banana Gluten Free Muffins
Move over smoothies, soups are the new way to get your greens according to “Food Trends in 2018” by Pinterest. Air frying is challenging baking, and instead of siracha, Gochujang is the new spicy sauce in town. Among other trends, one is an important repeat from 2017— learning how to get more of our proteins from plants. And that’s a trend that we applaud! Our recipe today for Chocolate Banana Gluten Free Muffins will help.
Our products are obviously all plant-based, as you know, but did you know they are also good sources of protein? In fact, on average, two tablespoons of our nut butters have more protein than an egg. Plenty of health experts are persuading us to meet more of our protein needs by turning to plants rather than animal-sources. For vegans and vegetarians, that concept has long been essential to their lifestyles. However, for most people, switching to plants for protein, even part-time, is not as easy as it sounds—or is it?
This makeover requires time and dedication, but once you set your mind to it, it can quickly become, yes, a lifestyle. There is no exact number or percentage of your protein that should come from plants versus animals. In the future, science is likely to provide us with a more exact recommendation regarding portion sizes and ratios. In the meantime, we are all encouraged to choose plant protein at least 70% of the time.
Once Again Nut Butters (need to stock up? Visit our store here) represent phenomenal tools to have in your pantry as you pursue this healthier way of living. Just a couple of tablespoons of peanut butter with your morning oats, paired with a spoonful of flaxseeds, for example, can provide all the protein you need for breakfast. At lunch time, prepare your salad dressing with Once Again Tahini and add garbanzo beans as a topping. When dinner time comes around, switch your butter or cream in a soup recipe to cashew butter for the same creamy mouth-feel. As for snack time, the options are endless. Here we offer a recipe for Cacao Banana Gluten Free Muffins (also vegan!) that will fit into your plan deliciously well.
We love hearing about how you’re making plant-based choices each day with the help of our products. Feel free to share your explorations and discoveries on social media or here in the comments section below.
Cacao Banana Gluten Free Muffins
Carolina Jantac, MS, RD, LD
This is simply too delicious to pass up! A healthy muffins made with bananas, cashew butter and maple syrup. It is vegan and gluten free.
- 3 bananas
- ¼ cup of unsweetened cacao powder
- 1/3 cup of maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon of vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon of baking soda
- 2 flax eggs 2 tablespoons of flaxseed meal mixed with 3 tablespoons of warm water
- ¼ cup of pecan flour or almond or oat flour
- Start by mashing the bananas; if you have overripe bananas, they are bursting with natural sugars and make the best choice!
- Add cashew butter to the bananas and mix well.
- Next, mix in cacao powder, maple syrup, and vanilla extract.
- In separate bowl combine flax eggs with the pecan flour and add to the overall mixture.
- If the mixture proves too runny, add a few more tablespoons of pecan flour to thicken. Pour the batter into sections of a muffin pan and bake in a pre-heated oven at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 20 to 25 minutes or until done.
Leave a comment